
We got the pathology report back today and the conclusion is that no radiation is necessary! Officially Pat is cancer free!
The details...a little confusing, I'll do my best. The cancerous tumor was 1 centimeter in diameter on the surface of the tongue. In surgery they remove the cancer and suspicious areas and then the they removed 1 centimeter beyond that. The lab results show that they got all the cancer out and that the distance between any cancer cells and healthy tissue was 6 mm. If the distance is less than 5mm they usually recommend radiation. The lymph nodes and tissue taken from Pat's neck came back clear of cancer - which is really great. It shows that the cancer had not moved past his tongue. (See above for my attempt at visual representation - this is our interpretation of the info the doctor gave us today. View is as if you are looking in Pat's mouth - not to scale : )
Pat continues to do great. His speech is a lot better that I thought it would be. He is still in need of speech therapy, but I think he will do great. Eating solids is still a little challenging and painful. He powers through his meals and although he takes about 3 times longer than me to finish a meal, he eats it up!
Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers!
xoxo

13 comments:
That is wonderful news! I am so glad to hear that everything is going alright. You remain in our thoughts and prayers.
That is great news! I am so happy to hear it. I know you still got lots of recovery - this is a great step on the way!
Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! And very professional graphics too : )
Molly and Pat,
So glad to hear that everything came back okay! you are both such positive, strong people! We will still be sending prayers for a quick recovery Pat's way!
YEHAWWWWW!!! (I don't know if this is how you speall that) WHAT GREAT NEWS!!! We are so happy for you Pat & Molly! TEAM PATRICK remains alive with the Schmitts. We wish you the best as you continue to move forward.
Great news, Patrick!!! Ryan Noonan's mother told us about you yesterday. I've enjoyed reading about you and your scary experience and I especially enjoyed the pictures. Please tell your mother hi for me. Keep us updated. Love, Karen Kronewitter
I was so excited when I got a text from Pat on the good news! Molly, you did a wonderful job including all of us throughout the whole process. I give you an A+ for your graphic design skills. Looking forward to seeing the same old Pat soon.
So happy to hear all is well! Wishing Pat a quick recovery and our best to you both. Denise P. and Ryan F.
Glad to hear all is going well. All in Huntington Beach are excited for you. Know you have a lot further to go and we are all pulling for you.
Cicero
Pat, I am so glad that you are now cancer free. I heared what happen through my mom. Glad you are doing better. Long time no talk.
Jon Kronewitter
Wow! What an ordeal. We are so happy you are on the mend. We are keeping you in our prayers.
GREAT GREAT GREAT news!!! Keep it coming...
Yea Patrick! So happy to hear that you are all you, and cancer free--the way to be! Keep those smoothies pumping. Molly, you are pretty much my hero!
Post a Comment