Thursday, September 25, 2008

Sucessful Surgery!

Pat’s surgery went really well. It was a very long day and it turned out to be a pretty long surgery, but Pat is doing ok.

Our afternoon of events:
We got another update around 3pm that they were done with the neck and moving on to the tongue. We checked into our hotel and headed back to the hospital. The surgery ended up taking over nine hours, a bit longer than we expected. The doctor came down to the waiting room around 6pm and gave us an update. He said it went really well. The neck took 6 hours. Everything looked very normal. The tongue surgery went well too. He said they needed to take a bit more than 30% due to a little further depth of the tumor. They ended up doing a skin graft from Pat’s thigh to close the incision on the tongue. The doctor said that all the samples that were sent to pathology during the surgery showed normal cells. We will have to wait aprox 10 days for the final pathology.

We finally got to see Pat in the ICU around 7pm. His mouth was packed with gauze and he had several tubes - feeding, draining and IVs. Despite some issues with discomfort he is in good spirits. He even asked the nurse to turn on the USC vs. OSU game! Go Pat! Dr. Dillon came in while we were there. She emphasized how well Pat did and how his youth is really on his side for recovery.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers today. I will continue to keep you informed. xoxox

12 comments:

Julie Kiefer said...

We are so thrilled to hear that everything went well! Thanks for keeping us up to date!

D* said...

Pat and Molly,
Jurgen forwarded me your blog info and the news of the surgery. I am very glad to hear all went well. Sending you lots of positive energy for a quick recovery. All my best, Denise P.

Unknown said...

Pat,

I hope you don't get drug tested at work when you're done swabbing your nose with Cocaine.

-Ryan

NAUMEG said...

I am so glad things went well! I was thinking about you guys all day. Too bad Pat had to see that horrible loss, hopefully he fell back asleep :)
megan

Chris4d said...

That's great news! Hope for a speedy recovery :)

Katie Windle said...

So good to hear that the surgery went well. Thank you so much for the update. Keep it up Pat and Molly! Love K

Jeff said...

I am so glad to learn that the surgery was successful. I pray for a quick and speedy recovery. Thank you for keeping us posted.

Lindsey said...

Go Pat is right! In every way!!!

Anonymous said...

Pat and Mol,

That is amazing!!!We knew Pat would do well! He is such a fighter! Please just know that we love you and you both are in our hearts.

Love you,

MEGZ

MCarter said...

So glad to hear it went well. Let Pat know that we're thinking about him here at ASU.

Unknown said...

Hi Guys - I know we only had a short randevu in San Fran 3 years ago, but please know that you all are in our prayers. Jamie just passed on the news and I checked on the blog for more info. Loved the pic of the cocaine nose! We hope to make it out west soon. Take care, and God Bless!

Shannon & Chris Copeland

Katherine K. said...

I'm SO HAPPY Pat is out of the hospital and doing well!! I've been thinking about you guys SO MUCH. Love you, Katherine